4 Weeks Before You Move
- Discard, sell, or give away all unwanted items.
- Notify Post Office for redirection of mail and send out change of address notices.
- Obtain medical and dental records.
- Ensure birth and marriage records are complete.
- Get school records.
- Notify insurance company and cancel or transfer all policies (life, house, car).
- Notify bank and credit card companies and arrange transfer or closure of accounts.
- Advise electoral office, I.R.D., local municipal authority, government departments (if any family allowances are paid), solicitor, church, local clubs.
- Cancel or transfer subscriptions for publications.
- If moving overseas, ensure passports, visas, travel bookings and accommodation are finalized.
2 Weeks Before You Move
- Confirm actual packing and moving dates with Legend International Transport.
- Arrange for cancellation of gas, electricity and phone service.
- Dispose of all paints and flammables (we cannot move or store such items).
Just Before You Move
- Cancel all delivery services (milk, bread, newspaper, fuel).
- Clean out medicine cabinet and dispose of unwanted drugs etc.
- Empty fuel from mowers etc.
- Remove food from fridge and defrost (at least 24 hours before moving).
- Collect any laundry or dry cleaning.
- Arrange for simple breakfast on moving day – use disposable utensils.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Remove all pictures, mirrors, curtains, light shades.
On Moving Day
- Be on hand or have an authorized person there to answer questions and to have a last look around to ensure nothing has been overlooked.
- Sign inventory with packer and retain your copy in a safe place.
- Ensure all travel documents etc. are set aside for taking with you (don’t forget books and games for the children).
- Unplug phone if owned